Tony is 1990 cum laude graduate of Suffolk University Law School and a 1987 cum laude graduate of Providence College. He was admitted to the Connecticut Bar in 1990 and the Massachusetts Bar in 2000. Tony has also litigated cases in a number of other jurisdictions throughout the United States in addition to Connecticut and Massachusetts. He is a BV rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected a Super Lawyer for Connecticut and New England from 2006 through 2011. Tony is also a past president of the Hartford County Bar Association, having been elected to serve as President for the 2006 through 2007 term.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
The following are representative of Tony’s accomplishments and experience:
- Representation of one of the world’s largest retailers in the defense of dozens of premises liability claims brought against it. In several cases, plaintiffs’ complaints were withdrawn for no consideration prior to trial. In others, low-cost or nuisance value settlements were achieved. In many others, defense verdicts were obtained following trial. Tony worked closely and successfully with his client to implement a long-term business and trial strategy designed to reduce the number of claims made and resulting costs.
- Representation of one of the nation’s largest general contractors in litigation involving catastrophic and fatal injuries to multiple parties caused by a building’s collapse while under construction. In that case, Tony successfully obtained summary judgment in two wrongful death claims and two serious injury cases. Additionally, his reliance upon contractual risk transfer mechanisms enabled his client to achieve a highly favorable global settlement of six other lawsuits arising out of that collapse, including related workers’ compensation claims.
- Representation of one of the nation’s largest construction firms. Tony has successfully defended this client in dozens of matters by aggressive reliance upon its contractual risk transfer provisions.
- Representation of the nation’s largest protective service company in a variety of claims, including a multi-million dollar lawsuit alleging that its guard failed to intervene to prevent a suicide attempt, and a wrongful death action alleging that one of its security guards failed to prevent the murder of a restaurant patron.
- Defense of an international tool manufacturer in a wrongful death lawsuit brought by the estate of a deceased employee of our client. In that action, Tony successfully negotiated a favorable settlement on his client’s behalf, primarily consisting of funds that we were able to procure from another party.
- Representation of an international construction contractor in a series of personal injury lawsuits which arose out of the construction of a broadcast relay station in West Africa. In one such case, a former employee alleged that while employed on that project, he contracted malaria and hepatitis C. The same employee alleged a wrongful termination claim. After the plaintiff presented his case to the jury, the Court directed a verdict in favor of Tony’s client which resulted in the dismissal of all, but one cause of action. Shortly after the Court’s ruling on that directed verdict motion, the plaintiff accepted a nuisance settlement.
- Representation of a general contractor in a wrongful death case which occurred during the demolition of a bridge. Tony was able to obtain a very successful settlement on his client’s behalf in that case following a full day of mediation. Tony’s success in that case was attributable to a number of factors including understanding, through expert assistance, the root cause of the girder’s failure and being able to use that understanding to transfer a significant portion of the loss to another party. In addition, and prior to the mediation, Tony filed a persuasive motion for summary judgment which, if granted, would have been dispositive of the plaintiff’s claims.
- Served as counsel of record to a number of the nation’s largest construction industry groups in the filing of amicus curiae briefs in which Tony successfully sought appellate reversal of two trial court decisions dealing with a general contractor’s duty to maintain a safe project site. These same industry groups retained Tony to represent them in an appeal at the Connecticut Supreme Court concerning issues that relate to the scope of a general contractor’s duty to conduct inspections of welds on a construction project. Tony was successful as Amicus Curiae counsel in that case as well.
- Several Fortune 500 insurance companies have also appointed Tony as panel counsel in the State of Connecticut. Tony’s representation of these companies has allowed him the opportunity to represent their insureds in complex personal injury disputes, as well as represent the insurance companies when they have been named as defendants. In one such case, Tony shifted liability completely to a third-party in a lawsuit in which the plaintiff was rendered a paraplegic resulting from the partial collapse of a building that was under construction. And, once that third-party agreed to accept the defense of that claim, Tony was granted a defendant’s motion for summary judgment that was affirmed by the Connecticut Supreme Court on two different occasions.
- Successful representation of a general contractor in a claim against a surveyor which resulted in a settlement in excess of 1.5 million dollars.
- Tony also successfully argued on an appeal, En Banc (to all 12 Judges), to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- Successful representation of a general contractor in an insurance coverage dispute which resulted in Tony prevailing upon that insurer to accept his client’s tender and then recovered from that insurer substantially all of his client’s attorneys’ fees and costs that were incurred in the underlying accident case.
- Representation of a telescopic mast manufacturer in a lawsuit brought in Los Angeles Superior Court, in which catastrophic personal injuries were sustained by the plaintiff, a well-known television news personality. Tony was able to effectuate a highly favorable outcome for his client by asserting a novel theory of indemnification. His efforts in that case enabled his client to transfer the risk of loss almost entirely to a third-party, who was a major television network and the parent company of the plaintiff’s employer.
- Representation of a forklift distributor in a lawsuit arising out of an accident resulting in catastrophic injury to the plaintiff. In that case, Tony successfully tendered his client’s defense and indemnity to another party soon after representation began thereby quickly and cost-effectively transferring the risk of loss in its entirety.
- Defense of one of the world’s largest bathroom appliance and fixture manufacturers against claims brought by plaintiffs alleging to have been injured while using its products. Tony was able to effectuate favorable resolutions in several of these cases, and procured low-cost or nuisance value settlements with the plaintiffs and other parties. In another case, Tony was able to obtain the withdrawal of an indemnity action brought against his client by an international hotel chain that had been sued by a plaintiff claiming to have sustained significant injuries.
- Defense of a ready-mix concrete supplier in a product liability claim brought by a plaintiff who sustained significant burns over much of his body. That case was successfully resolved when the plaintiff agreed at trial to settle his claims pursuant to terms favorable to his client.
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1990
Providence College, B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, 1987
United States District Court:
United States Court of Appeals:
• First Circuit
• Second Circuit
• Third Circuit
• Fourth Circuit
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
American Bar Association
Hartford County Bar Association, President, 2006-2007
Greater Hartford YMCA, Sustaining Campaign Volunteer, Division Leader, 1990 – 2000
Manchester Public Library, Board of Trustees 1996 – 1998
Connecticut Bar Association, Law Day USA Committee
Connecticut Bar Foundation, James W. Cooper Fellow
Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
Defense Research Institute
Connecticut/New England Super Lawyer 2006-2011
South Glastonbury, CT